What we can do & Cannot do
Consular assistance and other services that are provided by the Consulate include:
- Issuing Temporary Travel Documents to Maldivians who have lost their passport or for those who require it to go back to Maldives due to various reasons
- Assisting in renewal of Passport and National ID card
- Delivering assistance to Maldivians in case of emergencies / natural disasters
- Providing accurate and timely travel advice
- Providing visa information to foreigners wishing to travel to Maldives
What we can do for you:
- Facilitate assistance in relocating to a safe area or repatriation when there is a civil uprising due to political instability or natural disaster
- Provide assistance in the case of an accident, serious illness or death and arrange for next of kin to be notified
- Provide support to help communicate with the next-of-kin during an emergency situation
- Contact relatives or friends and request them to provide financial assistance for you during an emergency situation
- Contact the concerned authorities in India and work with them to find Maldivian (s) who is reported missing in India
Services provided for Maldivian detainees in India
- Regularly visit Maldivian (s) who has been arrested or imprisoned in Thiruvananthapuram and monitor the matter. In case of other cities, monitor the well-being via official channel.
- Inform the family of the detainee(s) if and when requested by the detainee.
- Within the laws of India, facilitate means to deliver financial assistance, letters, medicine and other items received from family and friends to the detainee.
- Provide assistance, within the laws of India, to deliver letters from the detainee to his/her next of kin.
- Arrange to deliver documents relating to judicial matters addressed to Maldivians living in Thiruvananthapuram in order for them to report to relevant Courts in the Maldives; or obtain statements from Maldivians living in Thiruvananthapuram (if requested by a Court in the Maldives).
- Attest documents issued by the Government of Maldives as true copies of the originals.
- Documents relating to renewal of passports, births and deaths.
- Provide assistance to get a new passport in case you lose your passport or your passport is stolen or it is expired.
- Provide assistance in obtaining temporary travel documents for children who are born in India to Maldivian parents.
- Arrange all necessary documents required to return the body of a Maldivian, who passed away in India, to Maldives, if the next of kin requests.
- Issue temporary travel document for you to return back to Maldives in case your passport gets stolen or you lose your passport or for any other valid reason.
- Inform next of kin of the deceased Maldivian in India.
- Issue necessary documents if a deceased Maldivian is to be buried in India.
- Provide information and assist next of kin of the deceased Maldivian in India to be buried or bring back the body to the Maldives.
What we cannot do for you:
- We cannot get you out of prison or obtain special treatment for you in prison.
- We cannot provide funds to pay for your legal costs.
- We cannot intervene or represent you in local judicial proceedings to help you in legal issues.
- We cannot provide legal advice.
- We cannot submit your issues to the judicial courts in India or assist you to do the same.
- We cannot provide funds to take the body of a deceased Maldivian back to the Maldives.
- We cannot provide funds for your travel or medical.
- We cannot pay anyone for their services, on behalf of you.
- We cannot arrange your hotel accommodation or obtain work permit or obtain resident permit or driving license.
- We cannot safeguard your items.
- We cannot receive or deliver personal letters/documents.
- We cannot assist in receiving your pension or any other payments.
- We cannot assist you in finding jobs.
- We cannot assist you to settle business disputes.
- We cannot help you to advertise your business.
To help us serve you better, please fill in the "Registration Form For Maldivian Nationals Resident In Thiruvananthapuram".